Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pass the vegemite

Cadel Evans, the soon-to-be oldest winner of the Tour de France, came out of hibernation this week to win the Tirreno-Adriatico in the dominant fashion we have come to expect from him. Cadel continues the Australia-New Zealand wave that is sweeping the cycling world.

Feels good mate!

While that cycling world is anxiously awaiting la Primavera, aka Milano-San Remo, I am sure folks in Belgium are really much more interested in tomorrow's edition of Nokere Koerse, won last year by none other than promising neo-pro Jens Keukeleire.

Today is also a sad day for Belgian cycling. 40 years ago, on March 15, 1971, then world champion Jean Pierre MonserĂ© ("Jempi") was killed during a bike race. He was 21 years old.



I dug up some more photos to entertain you while I am on my blogular holiday. Here are some shots from my first Iron distance endurance race, the Great Floridian in Clermont, Florida.  I finished eight in my age group, despite running out of food and suffering badly on the bike.

In Clermont, FL, triathlon capital of the world..
First Ironman
And finally a shot after finishing the first trademarked Ironman in Panama City Florida.

That was easy!?

And a very well worn race number from that infamous race.

No comments: