Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Dancing

I remember being a teenager and (attempting to) learn to dance. I was never very good at it. Back then, people still overwhelmingly danced ballroom dances (i.e. with steps that you had to learn and memorize). I could never do it. Within a few beats I would be hopelessly lost. I also failed miserably at keeping rhythms when I was playing a trumpet several years earlier.

Recently I saw a Michael Jackson interview where he said, "you can't think...thinking is bad." It simply doesn't work (or something to that effect) and he was right. I would always start thinking about my moves and voila, I would miss a step. And it would go downhill from there. The same happened when I tried to learn touch typing -another middle school activity that was popular in those days. I simply could not follow the rhythm the teacher would tap out. I ended up typing with two fingers for the longest time. Then one day, I just touch typed without ever practicing (or thinking about it--but that was fifteen years later).

Today I made another attempt at breathing every other stroke. Just as with dancing, my mind kept interfering and I could not get the rhythm straight. I would lose track and then be oxygen starved. The upshot of all that is that I consistently run out of breath within about 50 yards. I just can't seem to get the timing right. But I do admit that -while it works, however briefly- I do swim faster. I stroke faster and I can keep my momentum going.

For several days now I have felt nauseous and unable to eat much. Even after my 90 mile ride over the weekend, I could not eat. My stomach is constantly upset and I feel queasy as if I am going to throw up. It came to head yesterday evening and I think I may have caught some bug. (Other family members are having similar symptoms).

I tried to run on the treadmill yesterday but it was a miserable failure. I had to stop after 30 minutes and then again several times after that. All in all I ran 8 miles but it took 1:06 to do. I felt miserable. I could barely eat for dinner and it appears I lost weight too. Not good.

This morning was slightly better but I am still not 100%. Hope it clears soon. I need some long rides before Canada.

No comments: