Wednesday, March 11, 2009

three miles

I swam over three miles today. This morning I swam 160 laps or 3,000 meters, and after lunch I added another 110 laps, or 1.25 miles. 3 miles is 264 laps in our pool. Needless to say, I am very happy. 

First off, no problems whatsoever, no cramps, no tight feelings in any muscle, no tired arms, no nothing. That is very good. I can now be pretty sure the long swims "did their thing" as they say in the business.

Second, although I did not time it, I have the distinct impression that I swam fast too. It certainly felt fast. Unfortunately there was nobody in the pool this morning to compare to. In the afternoon, Alistair swam and even though I did not stay with him, I wasn't that much slower either. It was certainly a lot better than I had done previously. I also felt as if I could have stayed with him if I had wanted to push it a bit.

All that sounds good, but as they say in England, the proof is in the pudding. We'll see once I get to Lake Placid in July. Hopefully, I can keep up the training and then, we might show some real telling numbers. I know I have said this many times before, but this time is different, believe me. I would be surprised if it did not pan out on the longer distance.

No comments: